August 2012
Volume 12, Issue 9
Free
Vision Sciences Society Annual Meeting Abstract  |   August 2012
Flexible adaptation of hand orientation to changes of object orientation during grasping
Author Affiliations
  • Owino Eloka
    General Psychology, University of Hamburg
  • Volker H. Franz
    General Psychology, University of Hamburg
Journal of Vision August 2012, Vol.12, 430. doi:10.1167/12.9.430
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      ×
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Owino Eloka, Volker H. Franz; Flexible adaptation of hand orientation to changes of object orientation during grasping. Journal of Vision 2012;12(9):430. doi: 10.1167/12.9.430.

      Download citation file:


      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

      ×
  • Supplements
Abstract

In grasping the orientation of an object plays a significant role, as it influences both the „grasping component" as well as the „transport component " (Jeannerod, 1981, 1984). Therefore investigating the effects of changing object orientation during the movement might provide further insights to the visuomotor control of grasping. To this end, 20 participants grasped a vertically aligned bar (length = 50 mm, width = 20 mm) with a precision grip. Participants could freely choose a comfortable grasp axis. In 20 % of the trials the orientation of the bar was changed during the movement (by 20° or 90°). The change occurred after index finger or thumb moved 2 cm away from the starting position, or after 2/3 of the movement distance was covered. In the remaining 80 % of the trials the orientation of the bar was not changed. When the orientation of the bar was not changed, participants grasped it along its length. When the bar was rotated by 20°, participants also changed their hand orientation, and kept grasping the bar along its length. Also, in both conditions the maximum grip aperture was scaled to the length of the bar. However, when the bar was rotated by 90° participants grasped the bar along its width, scaling the MGA to the width of the bar, but not altering the orientation of their hand. Interestingly these adaptation processes did not depend on the moment of perturbation. Our results indicate that the visuomotor system is able to process information about object orientation flexibly at different stages of the movement, depending on external demands (orientation of the object) and internal factors (comfort of the grip).

Meeting abstract presented at VSS 2012

×
×

This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.

×