September 2018
Volume 18, Issue 10
Open Access
Vision Sciences Society Annual Meeting Abstract  |   September 2018
Sustained attention for categorical decision of uncanny faces as marked by delayed latency of P3 component
Author Affiliations
  • Daegyu Kim
    Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University
  • Hyeri Moon
    Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University
  • Minkyu Hwang
    Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University
  • Phil-sik Jang
    Department of IT & Logistics, Sehan University
  • Woo Hyun Jung
    Department of Psychology, Chungbuk National University
  • Joo-seok Hyun
    Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University
Journal of Vision September 2018, Vol.18, 912. doi:
  • Views
  • Share
  • Tools
    • Alerts
      This feature is available to authenticated users only.
      Sign In or Create an Account ×
    • Get Citation

      Daegyu Kim, Hyeri Moon, Minkyu Hwang, Phil-sik Jang, Woo Hyun Jung, Joo-seok Hyun; Sustained attention for categorical decision of uncanny faces as marked by delayed latency of P3 component. Journal of Vision 2018;18(10):912. doi:

      Download citation file:

      © ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)

  • Supplements

Uncanny experience refers to the phenomenon that human-like objects, such as android robots or animated cartoons, elicit eerie feeling of unfamiliarity even if they considerably resemble humans (Mori, 1970). To understand the cognitive mechanism of this phenomenon, we used an oddball task for three face categories, for which their event-related potentials(ERPs) were simultaneously recorded. Uncanny faces were constructed by synthesizing facial contours and volumes sampled from a set of cartoon faces with skin textures obtained from another set of human faces. In the oddball task, participants reported human faces as an infrequent target (20% probability of trial occurrence), cartoon faces as a frequent standard (60%), and uncanny faces as an infrequent deviant (20%). After the ERPs recording session, the participants rated familiarity and human-likeness on a Likert scale. While the P3 amplitude measured from the target trials (i.e., human) was greater, the P3 latencies were notably shorter than the deviant trials (i.e., uncanny). Participants also rated lowest familiarly with the uncanny faces, nevertheless rating identical human-likeness between the uncanny and cartoon faces. These results suggest that the uncanny faces as a non-target deviant initially attracted less attention than the human face target; however, the subsequent perception of their uncanniness may have further sustained the participant's attention than the target until their categorical decision was complete.

Meeting abstract presented at VSS 2018


This PDF is available to Subscribers Only

Sign in or purchase a subscription to access this content. ×

You must be signed into an individual account to use this feature.